Monday, July 4, 2011

Family Reunion

Yesterday was the official family reunion day, and just about everyone was there.
My grandparents, Linnie and Reece Majure had ten children. There are five living sons and daughters of my grandparents: my dad Charlie, Aunt Linda, Aunt Rose Ellen, Uncle Bill, and Aunt Ruth Anne. They were all there along with spouses, my mom and Ruth Ann's husband Billy. In addition, my Uncle Bob's widow, Aunt Sachiko and my cousins Bill and Tamiko were there with their families. We also got to meet Ruth Ann's two children, my cousins Hank and Jennifer and Jennifer's husband and daughters. And of course, my sister was there with her husband Bill and son, Hunter. Did you count that there were four Bills? It's a popular name!
We had a traditional southern meal at Ruth Ann and Billy's house. They live in rural Mississippi and it was about a 40 minute drive from our hotel. They have about 40 acres with a pond and surrounding woods. Jennifer and her husband, John built a house on the property and it is a beautiful and slow paced area to raise their kids.
We sat or stood around and visited, getting to know each other and sharing stories or memories. It was good to meet this part of our family tree and I'm so glad we did. Aunt Ruth Ann has some photo albums with pictures and news clippings about the different family members. I'm looking forward to reading through this and learning more about our family's history.
 


Today we are going to Newton, Mississippi which is about 75 miles away. This is the town that my dad grew up in. Although the house he grew up in is no longer standing, I'd still like to see the place where the house once was. I also want to see the soda shop he worked at as a kid, and the house where my grandma lived when we would visit her.


Later in the evening we will go back to Ruth Ann's for a 4th of July BBQ. Some of our cousins will have left for home or other vacation destinations, but those who are local to the area will still be around.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Wendy! We are having a great time! Zach has been our main photographer on the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very enriching travels!

    ReplyDelete