Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Three Sons

It's 6:30 a.m. and the house is still fairly quiet. I've been up for about 30 minutes enjoying the solitude before everyone else begins to stir. Today is the day we head out once again for a summer road trip. This week, as I've run around completing errands getting ready for the big trip, the anticipation has been growing. We are headed to Lincoln, Nebraska to visit my sister and her family. My parents are also going to be there, so it should be a blast. I LOVE road trips and even more I absolutely adore going on road trips with my sons!

Years ago, when Joe, Zach, and David were just toddlers and preschoolers, I would grow sad as I thought about the day when my babies were all grown and wouldn't need their mother. I fearfully envisioned being one of those overbearing matriarchs who couldn't cut the apron strings. I even told my mother-in-law one time to smack me upside the head if she saw me acting that way. But at some point, I stopped prematurely grieving the loss of their childhood and created memories. I also learned that parenting is a slow process of instilling independence to release your children into adulthood as responsible citizens who contribute to the good of the world. Also I realized that if I didn't mess things up too much, I  just might have my sons as friends one day.

Recently, a friend asked me what it was like to have adult children. I shared with her my early fears and resulting epiphany. As mother and sons, we have gone through many stages together: nurturing mama, playful mommy, disciplinarian mom, demanding teacher, worried mother, comforter, cheerleader, coach, and counselor. As the years progress, we have moved between and through these different relationship dynamics. I was able to tell my friend, "I love adult children!" I love having adult conversations with them. I love hearing their perspectives, and debating issues. I love seeing their spiritual lives develop, and their relationships with God becoming their own. I feel so blessed to have my sons as friends.

Although there are times that I miss my babies,  I can honestly say that I wouldn't go back to those days. These times are so much richer and deeper. And I hear that grandchildren are even greater. So there's even more to look forward to!

But, I digress. We are going on a road trip! And we'll be leaving within the hour. You can see our itinerary here: Summer Road Trip 2013

I plan to write every day and my youngest, David is also going to write in a blog. You can read his perspective on the trip here:
http://favoritesonsspiel.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Don't you mean your Favorite Son David is also going to write in a blog?

    ReplyDelete