Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The Fourth at Sea

 Happy 4th of July! It seems that every summer I am spending Independence Day traveling. It’s just the way my vacations work out. I am always away from home. This is the first time I have spent the holiday on a ship, though. No fireworks planned. I assumed it was because we were on a ship, but one of the cast members said it was because we were in Alaska. Not sure exactly why, but no fireworks celebration tonight. 

Both Joe and David stayed up late last night exploring the ship and going to different trivia and Karaoke activities. I on the other hand went to bed after struggling to post my blog. When I tried to log into Facebook to post a link, it required two-factor authentication which meant it sent me a text message. The problem is, my phone was not getting text messages. Later today, I received several codes from Facebook when we were in Alaska waters and close enough to a cell tower apparently. But when I came down to my computer the brief connection was gone again.

Breakfast was at Cabanas. It was the largest buffet with the most choices I have ever seen. Any American fare you can imagine was available. In addition, there was breakfast food that is more  typical of both European and Asian cultures. During breakfast the boys and I discussed a few chapters in a book we are reading called Testimony: Inside the Evangelical Movement That Failed a Generation. Typically, we discuss it during our Sunday lunches, but the past few Sundays we have been occupied with other things, so we are using the mornings on the ship to discuss a chapter or two.

Alaskan Inner Passage
Alaskan Inner Passage
A bit windy
Today’s plans included some trivia games, a nap for me, and movies. Joe watched The Little Mermaid, and David and I watched Elemental. Later on this week, Indiana Jones will be playing. It’s nice that the new releases are being shown on the ship along with many other Disney favorites. The ship is currently traveling through Alaska’s Inside Passage, so we spent some time outside on deck to see the land on either side. It was very windy, so we didn’t stay too long.

Before dinner, we went to the Golden Mickeys, a live show that celebrates Walt Disney’s legacy to animation. It was very well done with a talented cast. there was animation mixed with live performers singing and dancing on and off stage.

It's almost time for dinner at Animator’s Palate and then I am sure the boys will have other plans afterwards. We’ll see if I am up for them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment