Saturday, December 24, 2011

Twas the Day Before Christmas

Stylin' Zach at Cracker Barrel
I'm sitting in my parents' house in Florida and it's about 80 degrees outside. So much for my Christmas sweaters! Good thing I brought some short sleeved shirts with me.


We arrived here on Thursday, the 22nd and have been relaxing and waiting for my sister to arrive with her family. They fly in tonight and then the fun begins. My sister is a presence that can't be ignored. She is loud and boisterous making her opinion known to anyone and everyone. When we were kids, we fought and argued all the time.  Now as middle aged adults, I love and appreciate my sister and I always treasure  the time spent with her.


This is the first Christmas we have spent in Florida. Normally, the family celebrates Christmas in San Diego at our house or in Nebraska at my sister's. In fact, the last time we were in Florida at all was when the boys were very young 13 years ago. So this is a special treat to see my parents' new home, and visit with their friends.


Last night we had dinner with my parents' long time friend, Bonnie. She made us a lovely meal served on her brand new Christmas dishes. She insisted that we use all of the dishes, so we had our sodas in the tea cups, and the gravy was in the tea pot. She is very fun loving and a big lover of Disney and Elvis. As a result we got to see her Mickey collections and listen to her Elvis hits on a real jukebox (complete with 45 singles).


We'll spend a week here and will hopefully do a few touristy kind of activities. I know Matt wants to go to a movie or two. But for now the focus is on Christmas: baking some cookies, and getting the preparations for the holiday meal done. I'm working on thumbprint cookies (my sister's favorite), and playing games as we pass the afternoon. Mexican Train, anyone?



No comments:

Post a Comment