Friday, December 30, 2011

The Biggest Ball of Twine

I have a friend who teases me about my love of museums, factory tours and local oddities. When we went on our road trip and this most recent trip to Florida, he kept asking if we were going to visit the biggest ball of twine. What can I say? I love learning about new things.

It became a reality to me when Matt and I were first married and we were driving to visit our friends in Idaho. We stopped in Las Vegas the first night. Matt wanted to eat at a famous buffet and see a show, but the highlight of the city for me was the marshmallow factory tour. Yep, that's right. In Henderson, Nevada right outside of Las Vegas there were several factories and I toured them all. It was awesome! It was then we realized vacation for Matt meant entertainment, but for me, it meant education. Not surprising, since I am an educator and a life long learner.

The boys at Jamestown - 2003
Over the years, we've taken road trips, and gone on vacations to different places. Each place we visit, it is not an option; we must go and learn something. Sometimes it's a major museum. Other times, it is a national park or landmark. And every once in a while, it's a hidden treasure like the marshmallow factory. 

I have a few memories from childhood that include touring ruins in the Mediterranean, seeing a National Forest on Adak where the trees stopped growing, and hiking through tundra and seeing bomb shelters. But the one I remember best is when I was eleven years old and my dad had retired from the Navy. We were driving across country and we stopped in Virginia at the Luray Caverns. Of all the times, my parents had driven from place to place, this is the only time we actually stopped and did a tourist thing. Usually, we drove straight to the next destination. But this one time, my dad insisted we stop, and I saw my first stalactites and stalagmites.I still have the postcard booklet purchased so many years ago at the gift shop.

Gettysburg - 2003
My husband and sons know how much I love learning, so they each tolerate, accept or encourage my obsession to some degree. Whether it's taking me to Bodies - The Exhibition for Mother's Day or enduring a side trip 50 miles off the main road to visit the Little House on the Prairie, my family has patiently put up with me and some have even enjoyed themselves on our adventures.


The experience has also been shared with my friends. During a short cruise with my two dear friends, we spent a day on Catalina Island. We walked through the shops, admired the beautiful scenery, and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the community. When we came upon a museum and of course, I wanted to go in, my friends announced, "We are going to go get some coffee. Come find us when you are done." So while they sipped their hot drinks, I learned that the Chicago Cubs used to have spring training on Catalina Island and so much more.


White Sands, New Mexico - 2011
It's no wonder that I chose Epcot as the theme park to visit when we were in Florida. When given the opportunity, I'm a sucker for learning. I'm grateful for the experiences that have been deposited in my memory bank. I feel so wealthy!

Now, I haven't ever seen the biggest ball of twine (and I really don't want to), but there are still many more things to learn and experience. Anyone up for a trip to the museum?

No comments:

Post a Comment