Thursday, July 26, 2012

Escape from Alcatraz

On Wednesday morning when I stepped out of bed I winced from the pain shooting through the heel and arch of my foot. This was not good. It loosened up a little bit the more I walked, and I hobbled around our hotel room. I moved much slower than normal on this day, but I was determined to finish our trip to San Francisco if it killed me (or crippled me whichever came first).

Our first destination was a tour to Angel Island and then on to Alcatraz. Angel Island is a lovely island right behind Alcatraz. It has a lot of history including being the "Ellis Island" of the west. We had an interesting tram ride and enjoying the scenery and narration of the tour. But our real interest was in Alcatraz. The self guided audio tour was well done as we walked through the cell blocks listening to testimonies from prisoners and guards alike. I can't believe how small a 5' by 9' foot cell is!



Regulation #5 from the Alcatraz rule book given to every prisoner on arrival states, "You are entitled to food, clothing, shelter, and medical attention. Anything else that you get is a privilege." The boys bought this plaque to hang in our "ballroom" (a room with many license plates and old time tins). They knew I'd like it. Many of the rules at Alcatraz make fine rules for raising boys too. I do add one more entitlement to the regulation (for boys that is) which is...love.



Back at the hotel courtesy of Muni 8BX and Muni 30 Jefferson Loop (make sure the bus says Jefferson Loop!), we regrouped and piled into the car for a trip over the Golden Gate to Muir Woods. We arrived so late in the day that admission was free, and setting sun shining through the trees was gorgeous. I love Muir Woods. It was a complete contrast from Alcatraz and a great way to cap off a day of whirlwind activity. And thanks to my aching foot, I had to walk slowly and softly through this serene valley of ancient redwoods. It was a reverent experience.
Our stomachs were starting to growl and we stopped in Sausalito for a late dinner. The food was good at Taste of Rome, but the service was impressive. This small cafe was a combination coffee shop, pizza place, wine bar, and restaurant. It was crowded when we walked in, always a good sign. There was one guy at the counter who welcomed us and pointed us to the only open table at the end of the counter and gave us some menus. The entire time we were there, the line at the counter was non-stop. People were ordering food, paying bills, and chatting all with this one guy. He was a total rock star. I was completely impressed with his multi-tasking skills, and his efficient use of space and time all the while keeping a smile and great attitude. Our food came quickly and we left full and satisfied.

We drive home today after a quick detour to Fairfield, California for a visit to the Jelly Belly Factory. We have to have at least one factory tour on this trip, you know!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment