Tuesday, June 17, 2014

395 aka The Middle of No Where

This is the fourth year in a row, I've taken a road trip with my sons, and this time all three of them are able to go. It's a short trip to Yosemite with a few extra stops along the way.

The morning was spent getting the cutest little red car you ever did see all fixed up and ready for the trip. They found a nail in one of the tires. So glad it was found at the repair shop and not on the road. The afternoon was spent doing laundry and packing. We left around 7:00 p.m. after Joe got home from work.

The route we are taking is on Highway 395, a very remote two-lane highway in the high desert. The dark road was shared with many big trucks that caused my little red car to swerve each time they passed. I can remember traveling on 395 with my parents going to visit my mom's aunts and uncles who lived in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains not too far from Lake Tahoe. It is just as barren now as it was back then.

Zach doing a little reading of his own.
We've made a good dent in the journey, and will spend the night in Ridgecrest, the biggest city we've seen for about 90 miles. Tomorrow morning we'll head out, but we'll stop at Manzanar National Historic Site. I've always wanted to go there ever since I saw the turn off on one of my trips as a teen. I had read the book Farewell to Manzanar when I was in junior high, and loved it. To refresh my memory, we began listening to it today in the car and will finish it tomorrow on our drive to Manzanar.

Joe picked up a brochure in the motel lobby for the Lone Pine Film History Museum which happens to be 10 miles south of Manzanar. So we may make several stops before we get to Yosemite. I just love road trips!

Once again David is writing in his blog too, so if you are looking for a different perspective to our trip, you can read his blog: favoritesonsspiel.blogspot.com


2 comments: