Sunday, June 22, 2014

There's No Place Like Marc & Jackie's

Yesterday was a day of recovery at Marc & Jackie's. After our yummy breakfast, we looked through our photos, watched a few episodes of Carbonaro Effect, and got caught up on social media. Jackie mentioned a local museum and we all piled in to the cars and drove the few miles to the Stagecoach Inn Museum.

The museum had numerous docents dressed in period costumes who were eager to share what they knew about this historic building. We toured the Inn which had been a stop along the stagecoach route and heard how Newbury Park got its name all because of a post office. We went into the one room schoolhouse that had been reconstructed by a group of high school students, and walked on the Tri-village trail to see farm machines, the Newbury cabin, and an adobe house from the ranchero days of California. This was the third time Jackie had visited (she's such a good sport) since both of her sons had gone there for school field trips.


Back at the house, Marc introduced us to a new T.V. show called Motive which we'll add to our list of summer shows to watch. My nephew Ian came by to have dinner with us and visit for a while. After dinner it was a game of Funglish and then it was time to pack up the car one last time and head on home. We made great time and arrived home in about 2.5 hours.

On the way home we listened to the remainder of our second book, The Giver. It is a good book. Joe insists that I have read it before and that I made him and Zach read it. I don't remember it at all. But I did like the book and especially enjoyed the conversation we had about the book the last hour of our drive home. I so like having conversations with my adult sons.

So the trip is over but our fond memories will remain. It was a short, but memorable trip. I got to visit Manzanar which had sentimental value to me, we got a good overview and taste of Yosemite, a place we had never been, and we got to be spoiled by the hospitality of dear family. Now it's time for me to get ready for the next trip. Europe, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment