Tuesday, July 7, 2020

A Quick Trip to Big Bear

It has been two years since my sons and I have taken a road trip. It feels like forever. Last summer I was busy moving our school into a new building and there just wasn't time to get away for even a few days. I had been looking forward to planning a trip this summer, but then COVID-19 and a broken wrist became the priority and it seemed my hopes for a road trip were being shelved.

It was during one of my physical therapy appointments, that the Big Bear seed was planted. My physical therapist told me about a recent trip to Big Bear which reminded me that a longtime friend owned a cabin in Big Bear. The idea began to germinate as some of the restrictions were being lifted and I posed the question to my boys, "Anyone up for a mini-road trip to Big Bear?" All three responded affirmatively. I am always grateful that they are willing to join me on my adventures.

So we donned our face masks and here we are in Big Bear for four days of relaxation, hopefully, a little hiking, and just enjoying each others' company.


We left San Diego around 1:00 and after a stop at Taco Bell's drive-thru in Barstow, we headed up the mountain to arrive in Big Bear before 5:00. We are staying at Gretel's Log Cabin a mile or so from The Village. My friend's cabin was not available, and this was one of the more reasonable cabins (with four beds) that I could find. It's old and in need of some attention, but it will do.

After we checked in to the cabin, we headed to the local grocery store to buy food. Normally, we eat out a lot on our trips, but since we have a kitchen and the coronavirus is limiting restaurants, we decided we could eat at our home base most of the time. We loaded up the cart with more food than we could ever eat in four days while different sons waited in the long line to check out. On our way back to the cabin, we saw a Sizzler and considered taking a photo for Matt. You should have come with us, Matt!

Individual pizzas from Saucy Mama's Pizza was our dinner. It was an hour wait for pick up, so we didn't even start eating until 8:00 p.m. We played a round of Bang, a card game we haven't played in a while and then it was time for me to go to bed. The boys stayed up for three more hours watching Hulu before they too headed off to dreamland.

This morning the sun is out and the sky is blue. It looks like it will be a lovely day. I have a Zoom meeting with my colleagues mid-morning, but then we hope to go to the Alpine Slide. Zach has been up and about while I have been typing this. He completed his morning yoga routine, ate his "first breakfast" and is now playing Animal Crossing. The rest of the gang is starting to rouse, so I'm going to make brunch and then we'll get started on the day.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! New reading for me, and you made it there. Enjoy the time with the boys.

    ReplyDelete