Monday, June 20, 2022

Welcome to Deutschland!

It is 6:00 am in California and although everyone in San Diego is waking up to start their Juneteenth holiday, I am sitting in the Munich airport waiting for our connecting flight to Frankfurt. The flight has been delayed and it is expected to leave at 3:55 pm. It is very strange to get on a plane at 5:30 pm and then disembark at 1:30 pm the next day!

The flight was about 30 minutes delayed, and the flight was overbooked. Joe and I were grateful that we decided to spend the extra money to choose our seats. The airline was offering $800 to those who would take a later flight on Tuesday. We would have considered it except that we already had plans and needed to get here earlier so that we will hopefully have some recovery time before we start our whirlwind visit to Germany.

On the plane, I watched two movies, listened to 30 minutes of a book, took some Nyquil tablets, but sleep evaded me. I should have had the glass of wine that was offered. The pilot and flight attendants were German, but also spoke English. However, when the pilot made an announcement in German, it was much longer than the English version. Joe thought he was telling jokes, because the German couple sitting next to him laughed a little at one point during the announcement.

We were fed a lot of food, but I wasn't very hungry. Dinner was tortellini with spaghetti sauce, salad, roll, a slice of cheese, two crackers, and some sort of berry crumble thing. Before we landed, we were also offered a vegetable wrap, small fruit cup, and granola bar. I didn't take it.

As we were walking to Immigration, Joe commented that his knees were stiff and sore. For me, it was my bottom that was numb and hurting. I was nervous about getting through Immigration and catching our connecting flight, but the line moved pretty quickly. When we arrived at the gate, we found out our flight was delayed anyway so there was no need to be anxious. I should have known. It is rare that I have an uneventful trip.

We should be boarding in the next 10 or 15 minutes for the short flight to Frankfurt. I am tired, but excited to see Zach!

Update: Our flight was just delayed again another hour. The Sheryl McKay jinx is still in effect!

No comments:

Post a Comment