Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a blog by any other name...

I admire those who can be clever with words. My husband, Matt is one of those "punny" kind of guys. He always has a witty comeback. I, on the other hand have to really think about it. Eventually I can usually come up with some phrase or title that works, but it's not easy. So I'm quite pleased with the title of my blog.

It all started one day, when my team at work teased me about the way I tell them something important. I start off  answering a question or making a point, but then I have to back up...way back to the beginning. I give so much background information, making new points along the way, that sometimes I forget the reason I started the story in the first place! Eventually I come full circle and when I finally remember the main point, my common phrase is "and all that just to say" and then I make my point.

Well, in reality I guess it really started when I was a kid. I remember talking to my dad on many occasions, telling him something obscure and he'd finally interrupt me and say, "Sheryl, get to the point!" My embellishment of the background details were not as necessary as I thought they were. He was perfectly capable of understanding the main idea without my ongoing description of the whys and hows of this and that. But I wonder...

It's hard for me not to give all of the details. I want to make sure you fully appreciate the entire spectrum of the main point of the story or decision or whatever it is I'm talking about. The nuances matter. Don't they? Ah well, to me they do. So I ramble on and on and on. And my dear friends and staff put up with me.

It turns out my propensity to extend a story is hereditary. I've passed the "expound upon it" gene to my oldest son. And I must confess, I've been known to say, "Joe, get to the point!" Poor guy.

So our road trip should be interesting. Both of us competing for the last word, and taking longer than necessary to explain something. It's a good thing the other two in the car are used to us!

Speaking of road trips...we'll be heading out in less than two weeks. It's going to be a blast!

Anyway...all that just to say...I really like the name of my blog! Don't you?

2 comments:

  1. OH its so true! But I love this about you Sher. It makes me feel as if you are willing to take the time to chat a bit. This makes me feel loved by you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out that nuances and context do matter a great deal in rational debate especially in literature. I was often highly praised by the English Dean at Biola for my "well supported and nuanced" responses. See? Your genes were helpful.

    ReplyDelete