Wednesday, July 8, 2015

I remember when...

Yesterday was a much needed day of rest and relaxation. After our fast pace, it was great to spend the night in the same place for two days in a row. We stayed with my long time friends, Donn and Susan, and it has been a refreshment both physically, mentally, and spiritually.

I've known Donn and Susan since I was in college and babysat their four preschool aged sons. Every week, I would come over and watch the boys while Susan went to a women's Bible Study and Donn worked late. Then I'd sit and talk with Susan until Donn got home later that night. Those times were precious to me as I got to know Susan and learned from her. Of all the families I have met, this dear family has had the greatest impact on my understanding and perspective of family, marriage and being a parent. I consider the influence they have had on my life as priceless and I am grateful every time I get a chance to see them. This is the fifth time I've been to Coeur d'Alene to visit with them over the past 28 years they've lived here, and this time was extra special because I got to see those sweet boys that I cared for so long ago all grown up with families of their own. What a joy it is to see them living successful and fulfilling lives.





We took a ride on Donn and Susan's boat across the lake for lunch in Harrison, a small town on Lake Coeur d'Alene. Donn is a great mentor and he quickly got the boys driving and docking the boat. They had a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the cool wind as we raced across the sparking water in the bright sunshine. On the way back across the lake, we docked at a county campground so Susan and David could take a quick dip in the lake, and the rest of us dangled our feet from the dock in the water.

We came home for a few hours of rest, dinner, and then it was back to the lake to meet up with the rest of the family for splashing in the water, and taking turns using Donn and Susan's two kayaks. This is a regular event in the summer. The family meets each Tuesday evening for a few hours to enjoy the lake and each other's company.

We'll be leaving in about an hour as we begin the second half our journey and begin the trek south toward home. I am leaving inspired and refreshed, with a grateful heart.

For another perspective:

No comments:

Post a Comment