Monday, July 13, 2015

The Final Day

I think I slept the best our last night of the road trip. My nephew Alex graciously gave me his bed, and it was the first time this trip that I fell asleep quickly. We were up early and went to Marc & Jackie's church. They had a new pastor and an interim worship leader, and it was nice to worship with them and their church family.

After church we went to brunch at a local cafe. The food was really good, but the company was even better. We always enjoy time with the Newbury Park McKays. It's so fun to see my "little nephews" all grown up and cracking jokes. We laughed and joked and discussed the Mazerunner series with my nephew, Ian, who had just finished it the week before.


With our tummies full and satisfied, we went back to their house. Alex always has a new game to introduce to us, and this one was a bit complicated but still fun. It is based on the show Firefly. We all had to make friends and make money while avoiding the Reavers and the Alliance. Both Joe and I like this cult T.V. show, but Zach is the biggest fan and he would have loved the game. Alex will probably come down our way one more time before summer ends, and he promised to bring the game so Zach can play it too.

Meanwhile Mark was planning his own trip with Jackie to Yellowstone and the surrounding areas. I knew they were planning a trip, so I had every intention of passing off our bear spray to them. Unfortunately, they are flying, and you can't take bear spray on a plane, not even in the checked luggage. Bummer.

We ended our time with this special family watching the movie Mazerunner. The boys and I hadn't seen it, so Ian pulled out his blue ray and we watched it comparing it to the book. The story line was a little different as it always is in book adaptations, but the message of the book and the underlying themes were there, plus it had plenty of suspense and the maze was definitely menacing. We then watched the trailer to the next movie Scorch Trials which is coming out in September.

By 7:00 p.m. we were packed up and headed home. Traffic was cooperative and we pulled into the driveway at 10:00 p.m. glad to be home, but sad our yearly adventure was coming to a close. This was my fifth road trip with my adult sons. I am so grateful that they continue to go with me. We have a blast and I will always remember these times with them with so much fondness and joy.

Now it's time to unpack and do laundry while I think about next year's destination...

For another perspective:

No comments:

Post a Comment