Saturday, July 11, 2015

Sweet Treats and Reads

Morning came too quickly yesterday. I thought I would just crash when we got into our room in the wee hours, but it took me over an hour to fall asleep. Then 3 1/2 hours later, I was awake. I knew that breakfast was over at 9:30 and it was likely the boys would sleep through it. So I went down to breakfast, ate a bit and then loaded a plate and bowls of food for Joe and David. Back in the room, the boys were stirring, but no one was ready to get up yet. So the food went into the fridge, and everyone slept for another hour and a half.

Eventually, we had to leave, so it was back in the car, as we headed to downtown Eugene, Oregon. Downtown was really cute and the city would have been a fun place to wander and explore, but Voodoo Doughnuts was our destination.  We couldn't resist all of the crazy varieties, so we bought a dozen and shared three different doughnuts before walking back to our car. On the way back to the car, we came across another little shop that sold gourmet miniature cupcakes. The cupcakes at Toadstool Cupcakes were calling my name, so I bought 6 to share with Marc and Jackie.

An hour later, we were back on the Interstate 5 and traveling south. We had decided the night before (or should I say earlier that morning) that we wouldn't go to the Lassen Volcanic National Park since it was a bit of a detour and our late start and tired bodies, would have made it an unwise decision. The sign on the door of Voodoo Doughnuts claimed it was a National Forest, so I was reassured that our road trip could still include four national parks!
The rest of the day was spent driving and listening to the second book in the Mazerunner series: The Scorch Trials. This is one of my favorite parts of our trips. Every trip we listen to a book. Sometimes it's only one book if it is a short trip, but on our longer trips, we usually listen to a series. It helps to pass the time, and it's a lot of fun discussing the book and predicting what we think will happen next.

We pulled into our motel on the outskirts of Sacramento around 9:30 p.m. and had Voodoo doughnuts for dinner. My goal was to be asleep by 10:00 p.m., but it was after 11:00 before I finally dozed off for the night. We'll be up and out no later than 8:30 this morning per David's request. We have about a two hour drive into San Francisco and the one thing we must do is the Walt Disney Family museum. David has been waiting all trip for this day and I'm looking forward to it too.

For another perspective:

No comments:

Post a Comment